Long title. Simple salad. Really simple. 5 ingredient simple. I like that. You like that. This salad is all about perfect greens. You know those crisp, still warm from the sun greens you get at the farmer's market or, if you're lucky, your own garden. Their level of moisture is so different from those of store-bought. I think the chill on their way to market puts them into shock.
Anyway, this salad is delicious, filling and incredibly easy to make.
Start with your fresh (or purchased) lettuce (preferably the baby kind), mix together a dressing of smooth dijon mustard, sour cream and capers, and top with a few slices of heavy smoked salmon (the kind that you bite into, not the slippery top-my-bagel kind).
Dig in. Pretend your actually do have a garden of your own, brimming with spring (and trendy) delights like pea shoots, ramps, fiddleheads and, of course, little gem lettuce.
Recipe after the jump...
Fresh Greens with Dijon Caper Dressing & Smoked Salmon
Lunch for one
- 3 - 4 cups hand-ripped lettuce (baby greens, baby romaine, anything soft and tender)
- 3 oz hard smoked salmon, cut into nice chunks
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon capers with a dash of their liquid
- Crack of pepper (I know, six ingredients when you add the pepper!)
- Chives for garnish (darn, seven!)
To prepare your dressing, mix dijon, sour cream and capers with their liquid in a large bowl. Add the lettuce directly to the bowl and toss to coat. Top with your smoked salmon and some minced chives.