Not only are these crackers easy to make, but the dough comes together in a snap and can be frozen until you're ready to use it.
Impromptu after work guests? Grab some of this yummy dough from the freezer, defrost for a few minutes then roll it out, cut into haphazard little squares and, boom!, you've got gorgeous, delicate little squares of cheese, crunchy goodness that will impress anyone.
Homemade Cheese Crackers
Recipe by Better Homes & Gardens
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature (4 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ice water
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the cheese, butter, and salt. Add the flour and mix on low (dough will be pebbly). Slowly add the water and mix as the dough forms a ball.
2. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each into a very thin (1/8 inch or less) 10x12 inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the rectangles into 1-inch squares, then transfer them to the baking sheets. Or use a small cookie cutter in the shape of a cute heart like I did!
4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until puffed and browning at the edges. Watch carefully, as the high fat content of the crackers makes a fine line between golden delicious and burnt. Immediately move the crackers to racks to cool.